ESL Vocabulary Ideas - JUST




Just is a commonly used word in conversational English. As a formal adjective, it means fair. As an adverb, it has many uses. Here are some of the uses of just.



Recently In the Past
I just arrived.
The game has just started.


Only
I just need $5.
I’m just a kid. I can’t lift something so big.


Exactly
You look just like your sister.
This is just what I needed.


A Small Amount, A Little, Barely
We have just enough glasses for the guests.
We just missed that other car.


Almost (with about)
It is just about time to start the music.
We were just about to begin class.


Imperatives
Just Do It.
Just wait here please.

SongsThere are many songs that have the word just in the title or chorus. They are effective to use in class as listening exercises. The use of the word just can be investigated and classified like the previous categories. The lyrics provide an opportunity for review of the usage as well as discussion. For example, No Doubt's "I'm Just a Girl" talks about the perception of the lead singer because she is "only" a girl.
Here is a list of songs that use the word "just" in the lyrics:

I’m Just a Girl

No Doubt


Just Dance
Lady Gaga


Just Called
Stevie Wonder


Just the Two of Us 
Bill Withers

Just
Radiohead


The Party’s Just Begun
Cheetah Girls


Just the Way You Are
Billy Joel

No comments:

Post a Comment